Monday 14 February 2011

Mad little monkey

Mad little monkey is a great title for my 3 year old.  Amélie is so crazy it makes me laugh.  Her older sister was not as crazy and so I find myself going over the pregnancy to see if I did anything different.
I cannot find anything!  I had a few problems with Amélie and when she was born, she was in intensive care.  This was mainly because she came out faster than expected and I suffer from Group B Streptococcus which she caught from me.  I do not think this can be a reason for her madness though!

Last night was a prime example of what is happening.  She was put to bed at 8pm, had a story then lights out and I go downstairs.  I spent the next 2 hours finding her as she ran out of bed and hid upstairs!  We did have problems a few months back which meant she would not sleep unless I was there beside her.  I tried the control crying and the 'moving away in silence' as Supernanny says!  None of these things seem to help with her.  These latest night time moments are just so tiring and I cannot let it continue for as long as it did before!!

Where to go from here?  Well, I think it best that I keep putting her back.  She has to know where her bed is and that I will not give in first!  There is no point putting up a gate as she can open that now and no point taking things away as her response always is 'ok mummy, here take it' and she is not fussed!

I don't mind the madness during the day and try to let her in the garden as much as possible or do as much as I can with her but the night times are very very tiring!!

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated!!!

xXx

8 comments:

  1. We're going through sleep issues (since December).
    As yours is older, I am not sure what to suggest, as I am a first time Mum to one.

    All I can offer is a cyber hug.

    Saw your post on BMB.

    Liska x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, visiting you via BMB *waves*. I do NOT relish the thought of our little one DD being 3 years old as I'm sure she's going to be just the same as this! We're battling her fussy food issues at the moment - that's enough for now! Best of luck with your 'challenge' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    Liska, our issues did start about 18 months ago and have developed into this after a lull of going to bed like an angel! I wish you luck and make sure they always know your in charge! ha!

    Mummy@Bod for tea, food issues......mmmm not good! I always have given them the food if she doesn't eat it, I give her a yoghurt which luckily she likes! and nothing else. After a while she realised nothing else was coming!!

    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid the only thing is to persevere! She will most likely grow out of it but you have to be firm. Very firm. It might take a few hours, it might take days, weeks or months. But unless you're firm she'll think it's always okay to keep getting up again! I went through it with my daughter for a while - she's autistic and it made a difference because she lives by routine. I had to be really careful not to stop the routine otherwise it would have made the situation a whole lot worse. But I persevered and in the end she got used to bed time.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I try not to give in as I know it will make things worse in the end.
    My godson is autistic so I understand a little of what you talk about, not as much as his parents, you or any parents that actually live it day to day though.

    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's either the carrot or the stick. If taking things away doesn't work then maybe offering an incentive for good bedtime behaviour may work? For example if she goes to bed properly all week then a treat at the weekend, and sticker chart to show her progress? Most of all remember the parenting mantra....all together now.... "it's just a phase!" Good luck! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mich from another Mich!

    My Miss M is my minx and gettign her to sleep wa sa real problem. We had to keep doing the same thing again and again and again and finally it all started to work. I never took her into our room and I never cuddled her to sleep.

    Also little your littl one she is not fussed with any kind of discipline, so I went the other way with priase and use a sticker chart. She loves getting her sticker for a good nights sleep.

    Visiting from BMB. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys. We have moved onto the reward chart thing. Started it about 2 weeks ago and it works sporadically so I think that is the best way to go forward! Plus with the 'taking things away', it made me stressed which is not great either!

    Nice to hear others have gone through similar stuff. I just want this 'phase' to finish!

    xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting