Tuesday 11 October 2011

Congnitive Behavioural Therapy

The therapy has now come to an end after 12 sessions.  I felt there were more things I still needed to do before I finished but only I can make a difference now and forever.  I learnt many things during my time with the therapist.  Mainly that I am in control and I can deal with something when it happens.  My main and biggest issue was always avoiding situations - social or otherwise - and creating a 'safe bubble' around me and my life which that meant I could continually 'avoid' situations that I did not want to address.  I know that there is still so much more I need to do but the point is I am just going to keep going, keep challenging and keep moving forward.

The graded exposure that I wrote about in previous posts, is a great way to de-sensitise yourself to your big worries.  One of mine were travelling on public transport.  With the therapist, we wrote a step by step list which allowed me to slowly be exposed to the trains and buses, starting the journeys short and gradually growing through to extending the journey and adding in stops until I can finally go into London.  I have not got to London yet but did get to Battersea for a Wedding Fair last week and for me that was a big deal.

If you suffer from panic attacks please remember these quick points:
  • The fear feeling will pass
  • If it returns, fight it off
  • Ignore the 'run away' mentality that your brain will try and impose.  In the long run, it is not the best solution
  • People around you will not think any less of you if you have a panic attack
  • Be more compassionate to yourself
  • Give yourself time and know that you are not alone

Thousands of people all over the world suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.  Many will not tell people and suffer alone like I did when it all started 12 years ago.  I can talk a little about it now but it is still hard yet at the same time, it is good to talk.  If the person you are sharing the problem with is close, they will listen, not judge and support you.

You are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting