Friday 3 June 2011

Music and our children

I was sat listening to the radio the other day when they started to do a 'hits from the past' hour.  I sit in the car singing along to Toni Braxton, Blackstreet or any others I know the words to but not the names of the bands!  As I sing along, my eldest rolls her eyes and proceeds to tell me how old I am and that the music is rubbish.  Well for a start, I do not think that at 32, I am old, far from it!  As for the music being rubbish, I try to explain it is all relative.  If she gives it 20 years, she too could be having the same conversation with her children.  She laughs but I smile after having the same conversation with my mum about 20 years previously.......

I do think there was more innocence about music and their videos in years gone by.  You would not see people sleeping together or harming each other nor would you see so much scantily clad girls.  I am sure everyone has an opinion on it but here is mine.  There is no need to see such extremes on the television.  For music artists to put them in their videos, they do glamorise the acts to some extent.  Children grow up too fast as it is and they should be allowed to develop at their own speed without watching extremes and feeling the need to 'live up' to something.  I do not let my eldest, who is 11, watch music videos unless they are on the Disney channel.  I am not trying to stop her keeping up with friends or anything like that but I am trying to allow her to grow as a child before she starts to ask questions about adult related subjects.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. Some of these music videos are disgusting and I have banned Amy from watching them. I find that really sad though because that's almost saying I don't want her to listen to the music. She's so musical and loves the music channels, but she's learning what's rude and what's okay. Mind you, she does sometimes sit and watch something then say, "I shouldn't have watched that, but it was good." What can you do?

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I think in the case you describe, it is great that Amy knows the difference between what she should and should not be watching and so the hope is that that filters through and she will not allow the negative things affect her judgement.
    Besides that, there is not much we can do is there??!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting