Tuesday 1 March 2011

When to know to give up?

Is there a simple answer to this one?  You start a task and it does not seem to be going your way, but when do you know when to give up?  Or do you not give?

This comes down to business for me.  I have been a freelance Marketing and Design consultant for a couple of years now but I am not going anywhere.  I have a few clients mostly from word of mouth so I decided to place an advert to get more.  Only locally, just to entice local businesses.  I have had one call and that was from the magazine who placed the advert which is great but the advert seems a little wasted!

Maybe its me, maybe I am not cut out for the work.  If I cannot generate more clients than maybe it is me and I should just stop trying to 'flog a dead horse' so to speak.

I love marketing and design, I really do.  I just wish I could do more of it.  So my question to you reading this, when do you know it is time to take stock and re-route your career?

I asked a friend this and she told me to look at what I really enjoy now in the present. Not what I loved in my previous 'proper' job, but now.  The answer would have to be writing and being a mummy.  The biggest fear then is, how do I make any money?! 

Maybe this comes down to me loosing interest in it or is that because work is slow?

I am confused and unsure.  Any ideas mostly appreciated! 

3 comments:

  1. Oh Dear! I can feel your frustration and sometimes all we can do is just go with how we feel inside. If you've tried every avenue you can think of then maybe it is time to move on, but then you need to be able to look back and be sure that you tried absolutely everything to make it work then at least you'll find it a bit easier to accept. You may decide on reading this that, actually you could maybe try some other ways to move forward with what you want to do and achieve, but only you can come to realise that. Good Luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't really add much more than what ritz already said really and I don't really know anything about your field of expertise, but I have been reading lots lately about multiple revenue streams - could you perhaps look into ways to offer your services further afield utilisating the Internet? Perhaps not limiting yourself to your local area or even the UK?

    If not, then you could perhaps always back-burner it for a while until the economy is a little healthier and your services will be back in demand. Shame but if you've tried everything...

    Good luck anyhoos, Mich xX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I think it is not helped by the indecisiveness inside me that always niggles at crossroads to do most things.

    I have not yet tried to venture outside of the UK and not sure where I would start to be honest! But this is definately something I am going to now look into. Plus go back to the things I also enjoy and see if I find the time to make them go anywhere.....

    xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting